Atomic Energy Research EstablishmentPhone: 880-2-7789252, Fax: 880-2-7789337
Atomic Energy Research Establishment (AERE) is a major research set-up of Bangladesh Atomic Energy Commission (BAEC) for peaceful application of nuclear energy in various fields of physical, biological and engineering sciences. AERE came into existence in 1975 by the acquisition of 259 acres of land at Ganakbari, Savar which is about 40 km away from Dhaka City and about 4 km north of National Martyrs’ Memorial at Savar.
The AERE started its journey as a development project and its development at present stage has been achieved in phases. The first phase of development began with the commencement of research activities in 1981 at four of its research institutes and completed with the installation and commissioning of TRIGA MARK – II research reactor at the Institute of Nuclear Science and Technology in 1987. The second phase of development initiated in 1997 with the project entitled, ”Strengthening of Atomic Energy Research Establishment” which was completed in 2007. This initiative generated potential expansion both in infrastructure development and in upgrading of laboratory and other ancillary facilities in different Institutes/ Units. At present, ten research Institutes/Units are housed in AERE compound that are conducting research and development activities mainly by using peaceful application of nuclear energy and technology.
|3MW TRIGA Research Reactor|
Institutes and Units
- Institute of Nuclear Science and Technology (INST)
- Institute of Food and Radiation Biology (IFRB)
- Institute of Electronics (IE)
- Institute of Computer Science (ICS)
- Reactor Operation and Maintenance Unit (ROMU)
- Nuclear Minerals Unit (NMU)
- Tissue Banking and Biomaterial Research Unit (TBBRU)
- Energy Institute (EI)
- Central Engineering Facilities (CEF)
- Scientific Information Unit (SIU)
- Training Institute (TI)
The compound has a central cafeteria to cater the employee working here, a clinic to render health care services, a mosque for prayer and a school for the education of the children of the employees particularly to those who live in residential area of the compound. There are several clubs for the employees and their family members. There is also a VIP guesthouse inside the compound to provide accommodation facilities for the visiting scientists/researchers from home and abroad.
The AERE is administered by Director General (DG) while the Directors functions as the controlling authorities of the Institutes/Units. The Governing Body (GB) of the establishment is formed with the DG as the Chair together with the Directors of the Institutes/Units as well as senior-most Chief Scientific Officer/ Chief Engineer/Chief Geologist/ equivalent as members. The office of the DG has two branches, the Central Administration Division (CAD) and the Central Finance and Accounts Division (CFAD), to facilitate smooth functioning of his office.
Aims and Objectives
The primary aims and objectives set for AERE include fundamental and applied research in:
- Nuclear and radiation chemistry, neutron activation analysis, radiation processing of natural and synthetic polymers, stress analysis, isotope hydrology, isotope production, neutron shielding, neutron scattering and radiography, electronics, computer, nuclear minerals, monitoring and processing of nuclear waste for safety, non-destructive nuclear technique, deliberation and standardization of various nucleonic electronic instrumentation and devices etc.
- Food processing and preservation, pesticide residue analysis, pest control and management, sterilization of pharmaceutical products, genetic improvement of industrial microorganisms, biotechnology, tissue banking etc.
- Reactor engineering and control, research reactor operation and maintenance, production of various radio- isotopes both for medical (diagnosis and treatment) purpose and for relevant applied researches, support of Reactor facilities for fundamental researches and training of reactor operators etc.
- Design and development of nuclear and other sophisticated electronic appliances along with expansion and up-gradation of electronic devices, primarily required for nuclear oriented scientific activities
- Fulfillment of national goal by building paper-less and knowledge-based BAEC.
- Exploration of nuclear raw materials in the prospective areas of the country.
- Necessary engineering service to facilitate smooth functioning of laboratories and associate domains.
- Dissemination of information on the on-going research activities and achievements in the field of nuclear science and technology.
- Academic support for students and fellows of different universities/ educational institutions.
|Radioactive Waste Management Unit|
Major Research Areas
- Radiation control and waste management, nuclear and radiation chemistry, quality control & radioactive concentration of radioisotope, Technical and experimental nuclear reactor physics, isotope technique in hydrology, electronics, computer, nuclear minerals, plasma and solid state physics etc.
- Pest control and management, food technology, medical sterilization, microbiology and industrial irradiation, biotechnology and genetic engineering, agrochemical and environment, tissue banking etc.
- Engineering technology, reactor engineering and control, research reactor operation, etc.
- E-governance, Software development, Databases, Data mining, Expert System, Networking, etc.