Institute of Food and Radiation Biology
Agrochemical and Environmental Research Unit (AERU)
Phone: 88-02-7789830, Fax: 880-2-7789337
- To study Fate, Distribution, Degradation and Translocation of pesticides in the environment.
- To know the present status of pesticide residues in food and environment of Bangladesh.
- To generate and provide pesticide residue data for fixing Acceptable Daily Intake (ADI) and Maximum Residue Limit (MRL) for Bangladesh.
- To promote safe and effective use of pesticides through regulatory authorities for safe guarding human health and environment.
- To render services for determination of pesticide residue.
- Projects: According to the perspective plan of Bangladesh Atomic Energy Commission the research programs are:
- Studies on pesticide residues in food and environment.
- Studies on monitoring and distribution of pesticides in Bangladesh.of pesticides in Bangladesh.
- Trial, Validation and Development of new methods for pesticide residue studies.
- Evaluation of risks to human health from built-up of pesticide residues through food chain.
- Accreditation of the laboratory under the technical assistance of UNIDO and Bangladesh Accreditation Board is continuing.
- Since the inception of this laboratory, requests come from different organizations and entrepreneurs for pesticide residue analysis in various samples. BAEC has fixed a charge of taka 5000/ (Tk. five thousand) for analyzing each pesticide of each sample. In case of multi-residue analysis, additional Tk. 500/= (Tk. five hundred) is charged for each of the pesticide of the same sample. The laboratory has been serving Government departments, NGOs and private entrepreneurs. Analytical reports are required for export of agro products from Bangladesh.
- Pesticide Residue Laboratory provides facilities to conduct academic research work for M. Sc/ M. Phil / Ph. D students of different Universities / Institutes. During the last five years one Ph. D and twenty five M. S/M. Sc. students have completed their research work in this laboratory. Besides, the laboratory organized workshop training program on pesticide residue study. It also provides demonstration of laboratory facilities for the students of different universities. Sc/ M. Phil / Ph. D students of different Universities / Institutes. During the last ten years one PH. D, three M. S/ M. Phil and thirty five M. Sc. students have completed their research work in this laboratory. Beside, the laboratory organized workshop training program on pesticide residue study. It also provides demonstration of laboratory facilities for the students of different universities.
- To establish a National Reference Laboratory and a center of excellence for the analysis of pesticide residue in food and agricultural products.
- To develop Good Laboratory Practices (GPL) for pesticide residue analysis.
- To establish a veterinary drug residue analytical laboratory for the analysis of drug residues in poultry, dairy, fisheries and their products.
- To achieve International accreditation.
- The laboratory has generated some useful information on pesticide residue status, their transformation cycle and dispersion modes and pathways in water, fish, and vegetables and environmental samples which are useful to pesticide regulation in the country.
- Development of analytical methods for pesticide residue study and their application.
- Services to end-users.
- Providing research opportunities for M.Sc., M. Phil and Ph.D. students of different universities.
List of Publications (Last 5 Years):
- International Journal
- S.Bagchi, M.A.Z. Chowdhury, M.Amin Uddin, A.K. Azad and M.Atiqur Rahman(2008) Quantitative Analysis of Pesticide Residues in some pond water samples of Bangladesh, Asian J. Water, Environment and Pollution, 6: 27-30.
- Teruyuki Hakoda, Muhammed Alamgir Zaman Chowdhury, Akihiko Shimada and Koichi Hirota (2009) Oxidation of Dimethyl Sulfide in Air Using Elecron-Beam Irradiation, and Enhancement of its Oxidation Via an MnO2 Catalyst Plasma Chem. Plasma Process (Springer). 29:549-557
- AA Mahin, AZ Chowdhury, MK Alam, Z. Aktar and ANM Fakhruddin.(2011) Phenol biodegradation by two strains of Pseudomonas putida and effect of lead and zinc on the degradation process. International Journal of Environment. 1, 27-33.
- MN Islam, MAZ Chowdhury, MA Rahman, Z Fardous, MMH Khan and MK Alam (2011). Validation of DDT and its metabolites in tobacco leaf using HPTLC technique. Proceedings of the International Conference on Environmental aspects of Bangladesh. 2011, 195-198.
- SA Jame, AKMR Alam, ANM Fakhruddin and MK Alam (2010). Degradation of phenol by mixed culture of locally isolated Pseudomonas species. Journal of Bioremediation & Biodegradation. 1, 1-4.
- AZ Chowdhury, S.A. Jahan, MN Islam, M. Moniruzzaman, MK Alam, MA Zaman, N. Karim and S. Gan (2012). Occurence of organophophorus and carbamate pesticide residues in surface water samples from Rangpur District of Bangladesh. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol (Springer). 89, 202-7.
- S. Bhattacharjee, ANM Fakhruddin, MAZ Chowdhury, MA Rahman, MK Alam (2012). Monitoring of selected pesticides residue levels in water samples of paddy fields and removal of cypermethrin and chlorpyrifos residues from water using rice bran. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol (Springer). 89,348-53.
- Rahman MA, Chowdhury AZ, Moniruzzaman M, Islam MN, Fardous Z, Alam MK (2012). Pesticide residues in tobacco leaves from the Kushtia district in Bangladesh. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol(Springer). 89, 658-63.
- National Journals
- M. Z. Khatun, S. M. Hoque, M. N. Islam, J. A. Khatoon and M. A. Hossain. 2008. Presence of Organophosphorus Pesticide Residues in Surface Water in Dhaka City. Journal of Subtropical Agricultural Research and Development. 6: 506-511.) Studies on DDT residue and its metabolites in dry fishes from different regions of Bangladesh. Bangladesh Journal of Zoology, 35, 107-114.
- Z. Fardous, M. N. Islam, S. M. Hoque, M. A. Z. Chowdhury and M. A. Rahman. 2007. Determination of Some Selected Pesticide Residues in Tomato from Different Locations of Bangladesh. International Journal of Sustainable Agricultural Technology. 3: 04-07.beetle, Callosobruchus phaseoli (Gyllenhel) (Coleoptera: Bruchidae). Bangladesh Journal of Zoology, 35, 311-317.
- S. M. Hoque, M. N. Islam, M. A. Z. Chowdhury, M. A. Rahman and Z. Fardous. 2007. Standardization and Screening Test Method of DDT by Immunoassay Procedures. International Journal of Sustainable Agricultural Technology. 3 : 102-106.of Spilosoma oblique Walker (Lepidoptera Arctiidae) reared on artificial diets and reproductive competence of irradiated adult parent and progeny. Bangladesh Journal of Entomology, 16:17-20.
- M. N. Islam, S. M. Hoque, M. A. Z. Chowdhury, M. A. Rahman and Z. Fardous. 2007. Monitoring of Organochlorine Pesticide Residues in Surface Water Samples of the Agricultural Field of Bangladesh. Journal of Subtropical Agricultural Research and Development. 5 : 357-360., M. (2006) Pesticide residues in soil of some selected spots of Bangladesh. Journal of Asiatic Society of Bangladesh (Sci.), 32: 243-248.
- S. M. Hoque, M. N. Islam, M. A. Z. Chowdhury, M. A. Rahman and Z. Fardous. 2007. Screening of Organophosphate and Carbamate Group of Pesticide in Tomato Samples Collected from Different Districts of Bangladesh by Cholinesterase Test Kit (ELISA) Method. Journal of Subtropical Agricultural Research and Development. 5 : 373-377.analyses of some mosquito repellents against Culex quinquafasciatus (Say). Nuclear Science and Applications, 15:108-115.
- M. A. Z. Chowdhury, D. K. Paul. M.Z.H. Mondal and M. M. Alam (2010) Study of selected pesticide residues in vegetable samples from different local market of Dhaka city area. Journal of Applied Science and Technology (JAST), Islamic University, Kushtia. 7 (1): 45-48 . 2006: Pesticide residues in soils of some selected spots of Bangladesh. J. Asiat. Soc. Bangladesh, Sci., 32 (2): 243-248.
- M. H. Khan, A.K. Azad, A.Z. Chowdhury, M.S. Rahman, M.A. Malek (2010). Evaluation of TLC (Thin Layer Chromatography) Methods for Pesticide Residues Analysis. Journal of Applied Science and Technology (JAST), Islamic University, Kushtia. 7 (2): 91-94sexing the adults of bean beetle, Callosobruchus phaseoli (Gyllenhal) (Coleoptera : Bruchidae). Nuclear Science and Applications, 14: 100-102.
- M. Alamgir Z. Chowdhury, M. Amin Uddin, M. Tipu Sultan, M. Hasanuzzaman, M. Ainul Hoque and M. A. Zaman (2010) Pesticide Residues in Water Samples of Some Paddy fields in Narayangonj. The Chittagong University Journal of Biological Sciences, 5(1&2):155-157.Toxicity and Translocation of Carbofuran in a simulated rice-fish ecosystem. Nuclear Science & Applications, 14(1): 85-89.
- MJ Nayem, ANM Fakhruddin, MAZ Chowdhury, MK Alam, Z. Fardous. H Rashid and MA Hossain (2011). Pathogenic bacteria, pesticide residues and metal content in giant fresh prawn, Macrobrachium rosenbergh sold in local markets. Journal of Bangladesh Academy of Sciences. 35, 91-97.pesticide residues in water environment of Dhak metropolinan city area. Nucl. sci. appl. 13(1, 2):131-135.
- M. Amin Uddin and M. Alamgir Z. Chowdhury (2011); Efficacy of precooking activities on removal of residues of DDT in some species of dried fishes, B.J. of Zoology, 39(1): 129-136of furadan and cymbush for the control of shoot and fruit borer, Lencinodes orbonalis in egg plant, Bang.J.Agril. Res. 28(2): 187-196.
- MS Hossain, M. Akhtaruzzaman, ANM Fakhruddin, MJ Uddin, SH Rahman, MAZ Chowdhury and MK Alam (2012). Antimicrobial susceptibility of Vibrio species isolated from brackish water shrimp culture environment. Journal of Bangladesh Academy of Sciences. 36, 213-220. -up of pesticide residues by Gel-permiation chromatography, Nucl. sci. appl. 12(1):101-106.
Atomic Energy Research Establishment, Ganakbari, Savar,P.O. Box No. 3787, Dhaka-1000, Bangladesh
Telephone 880-2- 7789252; Facsimilie 880-2-7789337.