Institute of Food and Radiation Biology
Microbiology and Industrial Irradiation Division (MIID)Phone: 880-2-7790033, Fax: 880-2-7789620
- Microbiological investigation of radiation sterilization of medical products
- Use of radiation, heat, low temperature and their combination for controlling food borne pathogens.
- Application of nuclear and biotechnological processes for conversion of agro-wastes into value added products.
- Microbial control of environmental pollution and determination of alternative microbial indicator.
- Radiation sterilization and quality control of medical products.
- Bioconversion of cellulosic and other residues to different useful products through saccharification and liquid/solid state fermentation.
- Extraction of chitin from shrimp wastes and its conversion into chitosan.
- Microbial control of industrial waste chemicals.
- Development of appropriate technology for shelf life extension of different perishable food items e.g. fish and fishery products, poultry and other meat products.
- A dose of 28 kGy for majority of the medical products studied was found to be suitable for achieving complete sterilization with a Sterility Assurance Level of 106.
- Radiation stability and safety study of some pharmaceutical raw materials have been completed.
- Shelf life of some selected fish and fishery products has been extended using radiation, low temperature, heat and their combination.
- Radiation doses have been determined for elimination of pathogenic microbes like Salmonella, Vibrio, Aeromonas from fish and frog legs.
- Convenience food (ready to eat) with increased shelf-life and hygienic quality has been developed using radiation and other treatments.
- Microorganisms associated with some of the spices, animal and poultry feed have been identified and radiation doses of 5 to 8 kGy were determined for elimination of the pathogenic microorganisms.
- Nutritionally improved animal feed has been developed by upgrading agro-wastes using radiation and solid state fermentation processes on a laboratory scale.
- Lactic acid fermentation for development of fermented food and vegetables has been completed.
- Laminar bench.
- Shaking incubator.
- Top loading balance.
- Dry heat oven.
- Deep freeze.
- Hot plate magnetic stirrer.
- Vortex mixture.
- Water distillation set.
- Radiation processing of natural polysachharides for conversion into value added products.
- Use of genetically engineered microbes for industrial application and control of environmental pollution.
- Microbiological quality control of Different medical products, food commodities, drinking water etc.
- Microbial sterility test of radiation sterilized medical products.
- Routine microbiological analysis of drinking water.
- Technical advisory services on microbiology, compatibility and sterility assurance related to radiation sterilization of medical products.
- Nirmal, C. D., Md. Emdadul Hoque, H. Rashid, and Feroza Akhter. (2003).Study on radiation cross-linking polyvinyl pyrrolidone hydrogel for medical application. Journal of Bangladesh Academy of Sciences. 27(1):57-63.
- A. N. M. Fakhruddin, H. Rashid and N. Choudhury. (2003). Effect of acetic acid and temperature on bacteria associated with red meat. Bangladesh J. Life Sci. 15 (2): 79-84.
- M.M. Alam, F. Akhtar, M. F. Mina, H. Rashid and A. I. Mustafa. (2003). Characterizationof acrylamide hydrojel prepared by v irradiation. Paper accepted for the publication in the J. Nucl. Sci. and Appl. 12 (1 &2), 41-45.
- H. Rashid, A. N. M. Fakhruddin, A. H. Sarder and N. Choudhury. (2003). Improvement of microbiological quality of dried tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum) leaves and jorda by gamma irradiation. Bangladesh Journal of Microbiology. 20 (1&2), 11-14.
- Nazmun Nahar, A. N. M. Fakruddin, H. Rashid. (2004). Aromatic hydrocarbon pollutants degradating microbial communities in industrial waste chemical contaminated sites near Dhaka city. Bangladesh Journal of Microbiology, 21(2), 68-71.
- H. Rashid, A. N. M. Fakhruddin, M. G. Haque. (2004). Chemical and microbiological analysis of launch (water vehicle) drinking water. Bangladesh Journal of Microbiology, 21(1), 10-13.
- Sujan Chandra Saha, S. M. Asaduzzaman, Abdullah-Al-Mahin, H. Rashid and Anisur Rahman Khan. (2005). Extraction of chitin/chitosan from shrimp wastes and application of irradiated chitosan as anti-bacterial agent. Dhaka Univ. J.Bio. Sci.14 (2) : 161-168.
- A.N.M. Fakhruddin and H. Rashid. (2005). Comparison of methods for the measurement of growth of floc forming Pseudomonas putida CP1 on mono-chlorophenols. Bangladesh Journal of Botany. 34 (2): 77-83.
- S. M. Asaduzzaman, Abdullah-Al-Mahin, Hasina Akter, Tahmina Afroz and Harun-Or- Rashid. (2006). Microbiological Aspects of preservation of fish kebab. Bangladesh Journal of Microbiology, 23 (1): 63-65.
- Hasina Akter, Abdullah-Al-Mahin, S. M. Asaduzzaman, Tahmina Afroz and H. Rashid. (2006). Microbiological Analysis of some ready – to-eat fish products collected from Dhaka city and Savar area. J. Nucl. Sci. and Appl. 15 (1): 94-99.
- S. K. Chakraborty, M. Z. Hasan, K. Chakma, Harun-Or-Rashid, A. Nessa and D. J. Gomej. 2007. Inactivation of bacterial vegetative cells and endospores with some chemical disinfectants, Dhaka University J. Biol. Sci. 16: 109-115.
- S. K. Chakraborty, Jahangir Alam, Harun-Or-Rashid, M. Emdadul Hoque, A. Nessa and D. J. Gomej. 2007. Effect of freezing, freeze-drying and gamma irradiation on the tensile strength of human femoral bone. Bangladesh Journal of Medical Science 13: 54-58.
- M. R. Karim, A. N. M. Fakhruddin and H. Rashid 2007.Shelf life extension of convenience food, “Fish Kebab” by irradiation, acidulant and combination treatment at ambient temperature. Journal of Bangladesh Academy of Science 31: 223-230.
- A.N.M. Fakhruddin and H. Rashid. 2007. Microbiological quality of convenience snack foods sold in the market. Bangladesh Academy of Science 31: 1-6.
- M. Shahiduzzaman, N. Banu, M. M. Hossain, M. S. Islam, M. K. Alam and M. A. Hossain (2004). Seasonal variation in proximate composition and mineral content of fresh water fish Clupisoma atherinoides (Bloch, 1953). Bangladesh Journal of Life Science. 16 (1): 109-113.
- Rokeya Khatun, M. A. Hossain, M. K. Alam and Md. Abdus Salam (2003). Shelf life extension of Mystus cavasius by gamma radiation and a chemical treatment. Bangladesh Journal of Life Science. 15(2): 1-6.
- Rokeya Khatun, M. K. Alam, M. A. Hossain, and Md. Abdus Salam (2004). Chemical and radiation sensitivity of major fish spoilage bacteria isolated from Mystus cavasius. Bangladesh Journal of Life Science. 16(1): 1-4.
- M.S. Islam, M.M. Hossain, M. A. Hossain, M. K. Alam and A. H. Sarder (2004). Effect of gamma radiation and temperature on storage quality of Pea (Pisum sativum L). Nuclear Science and Applications 13, 115-118.
- M. A Salam, M. Kamrujjaman, M. K. Alam, M. A Salam and M. K. Ahmed. 2005 (July). Seasonal variation of proximate compositions and mineral contents (Ca and P) in edible part of giant river prawn, Macrobrachium rosenbergii (de Man 1879). The Dhaka University Journal of Biological Sciences 14 (2): 177-185 2005 (July).
- M. K. Alam, M. S. Hussain, M. A. Hossain and M. U. Ahmed. 2005 (Dec.) Inoculated Bacterial Method for the Identification of Irradiated Fish. Bangladesh Journal of Microbiology 22 (2), 178-179.
- M. S. Hussain, M. A. Uzzaman, M. A. Hossain, M. K. Alam, M. S. Islam, and R. Huque. 2006. Effect of gamma irradiation and vacuum packaging on the shelf life extension of beef kebab during refrigerated storage. Bangladesh Journal of Microbiology. 23 (2), 156-158.
- M. A. Salam, M. Kamrujjaman, M. K. Alam and M. A. Salam. 2006. Isolation and identification of bacterial flora responsible for spoilage of fresh water prawn, Macrobrachium rosenbergii (de Man). Journal of Asiatic Society of Bangladesh, Sci. 32 (2), 193-198.
- Md Khorshed Alam, Md Shahidul Islam and Md Afzal Hossain. 2006. Gamma Radiation Induced Production of o-Tyrosine in Irradiated Shrimp. Nuclear Science and Applications. 15 (2), 113-115.
- Abdul Salam, M. Afzal Hossain, M. Khorshed Alam and M. Abdus Salam. 2007. Effects of potassium sorbate and gamma radiation on preservation of fresh water prawn, Macrobrachium rosenbergii at 40C. Journal of Asiatic Society of Bangladesh, Sci. 33 (1), 37-44.
- M. Kikuchi, CR Gunawardane, Md Khorshed Alam, AZM Dzomir, RC Pitipanaarachchi, T. Funayama, N Hamada, T Sakashita, S. Wada, K. Satoh, I. Narumi and Y. Kobayashi (2007). Chemiluminescence ELISA for the detection of oxidative DNA base damage using Anti-8-hydroxy-2?-deoxyguanosine Antibody: Application to the Detection of Irradiated Foods. Radioisotopes 56, 509-517 (Japan).
- M. Nizam Uddin, Abdullah-Al-Mahin, Rehana Begum and Anisur Rahman Khan. Assessment of Microbiological Quality of some Fast foods in relation to safety & Hygiene. Bangladesh journal of Microbiol 22, No.-1, June-2003.
- A. B. M. Raisul Alam, Abdullah-Al-Mahin, Rehana Begum and Anisur Rahman Khan, 2004. Microbiological Analysis of Some Common Raw Vegetables Collected from Different Kancha Bazar of Dhaka City. Bangladesh Journal of Microbiology 21 (2): 65-67.
- M. K. Munshi, P.K.Roy, M.H. Kabir and G.Ahammed (2007) In Vitro Regeneration of Cabbage ( Brassica oleracea L. var. Capitata) Through Hypocotyl and Cotyledon Culture. Plant Tissue Cult & Biotechnology, 17(2) :131-136.
- M.Kamruzzaman Munshi, Yoshichika Kobayashi and Toshiharu Shikanai (2006) Chlororespiratory reduction6 is a novel factor required for accumulation of the chloroplast NAD(P)H dehydrogenase complex in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology, 141 :737-744 (USA).
- M.Kamruzzaman Munshi, Yoshichika Kobayashi and Toshiharu Shikanai (2005) Identification of a novel protein, CRR7, required for the stabilization of the chloroplast NAD(P)H dehydrogenase complex in Arabidopsis. The Plant Journal, 44: 1036-1044 (UK).
- M.K.Munshi, L.Hakim, M.R.Islam and Golam Ahmed (2004) In vitro Clonal Propagation of Banyan(Ficus benghalensis L.) through Axillary Bud Culture. International J.Agri. Biol., 6(2):321-323.
- M.K.Munshi,S.N.Hossain,M.R.Islam,L.Hakim and G.Ahmed (2004) In vitro mass propagation of turmeric (Curcuma longa. L.) using buds from rhizomes. Bangladesh J. Bot.,33 (2):124-125.(Bangladesh).
- S.N.Hossain, M.K.Munshi, M.R.Islam, L.Hakim and M.Hossain (2003) In vitro propagation of plum (Zyziphus jujuba Lam.) . J. of Plant Tissue Cult., 13(1): 81-84. (Bangladesh)
Every year students from different universities receive research facilities and guidance to complete their M. Sc, M. Phil and Ph D level thesis.