Institute of Food and Radiation Biology
Radiation Entomology and Acarology Division (READ)
Phone: 88-02-778 98 31, Fax: 880-2-7789337
- Disinfesting insect and mite pests of food and agricultural products by irradiation.
- Development of environmentally safe integrated pest management technology.
- Application of SIT against field crop pests (blow fly, fruit fly etc.) to minimize
quality deterioration and quantity loss of the products.
- Identification, radio-sensitivity, bionomics, loss assessment and control of the quarantine insect and mite pests for widening export possibilities.
- Development of control strategies against insect and mite pests using pheromone, hormone, predators, parasites and microbial agents.
- Faunal records, biology, bionomics and radio-sensitivity of insect and mite pests and beneficial insects.
- Insect/mite disinfestations of food and agricultural products by irradiation / botanicals / chemicals.
- Suppression/eradication of blowfly infesting sun dried fish in the off shore islands and coastal areas of Bangladesh by the application of Sterile Insect Technique (SIT).
- Suppression/eradication of fruit fly infesting fruits and vegetables by the application of Sterile Insect Technique (SIT).
- Irradiation as a quarantine treatment of agricultural products (locally produced and imported products).
- Insect pest control by genetic manipulation using radiation and chemicals.
- Use of pheromone, hormone, microbial agents and chemical pesticides for control of stored and field crop pests.
- Ecological approach to the Lepidopteran insects (butterflies and moths) in relation to environmental adaptation and population management.
- Control of medically important arthropod pests using radiation and conventional methods.
- Functional aspects of insect olfaction to develop olfactory-based control method.
- Feasibility study of using Sterile Insect Technique in sun dried fish industry, BGD/5/025 (2005 – 2006 TC cycle).
- Mass rearing and test release of radiosterilized flies in Sonadia island and adjacent fish drying areas to control/suppress blowfly, Lucilia cuprina infesting sundried marine fish (2007 – 2008).
- A dose of 1 kGy is sufficient to control all developmental stages of insect/ mite pests of stored food crops, dried fish and spices.
- Jute bag lined with polyethylene (0.25 mm) is suitable to check re-infestation up-to 9-12 months.
- Mass rearing facility for implementation of SIT has been established.
- Pupal color variants (white, black and brown)having potentiality in developing genetic sexing strains for SIT has been isolated.
- Vase life of irradiated (0.5kGy) rose, tube rose, and marigold could be extended for 7-8 days at 100C than control at ambient temperature (20-250C).
- A total of 76 species of butterflies belonging to 8 taxonomic families were identified.
- A separate blowfly mass rearing facility having around 1500 sq. ft. floor area with all necessary equipment.
- Laboratory rearing facilities for all kinds of stored product, field crop and medically important pests.
- Cytogenetic and biochemical research facilities.
- Extraction and screening facilities of botanical pesticides.
- Collection, identification and preservation as well as rearing facilities for Lepidopteran insects.
- Pilot scale studies on radiation disinfestations of stored and agricultural commodities against insect and mite pests for commercial application.
- Preparation of faunal records of insect and mite pests attacking floricultural/ horticultural commodities as well as stored agricultural products including loss assessment.
- Mass rearing and release assessment for improvement of SIT against field crop pests.
- Application and monitoring of quarantine regulation by the development of reliable identifying technique.
- Improvement of packaging technology with integration of irradiation, preservative solution, low temperature and suitable packaging materials for shelf/vase life of fresh agricultural commodities.
- Behavioral biology and environmental aspects of Lepidoptera (butterflies and moths) in relation to population management.
- Indigenous predatory/parasitic insects and mites will be tried to utilize as biological control agent against agricultural pests.
- Nahar, F. Yesmin, M.M. Kamrul Hasan & Rezuanul Islam. 2007. Salivary gland polytene chromosome analysis of the sheep blow fly, Lucilia cuprina (Wied.) (Diptera: Calliphoridae). Bangladesh j entomol. 17 (1): 9-18.
- A.K. Saha, M. Khan, G. Nahar and F. Yesmin. 2007. Impact of natural hosts and artificial adult diets on some quality parameters of the melon fly, Bactrocera cucurbite (Coquillett) (Diptera: Tephritidae). Pakistan J Biol. Sci. 10 (1): 178-181.
- Majumder, M. Z. R. 2007. Studies on general biology of Spodoptera litura (Feb.) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) infesting flower gardens. Bangladesh J. Zool. 35(2): 61 – 70.
- Majumder, M. Z. R. 2007. Species profile for 40 spp. of Dung Beetle ( Scarabaeidae : Scarabaeinae). Accepted for publication in the Encyclopedia of Flora and Fauna of Bangladesh, a project running by the Asiatic Society of Bangladesh, 5, Old Secretariat Road, Nimtali, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Majumder, M. Z. R., Shahjahan, R. M. and Khan, R. N. 2007. Progress report of the IAEA TC project titled Feasibility study of the Sterile Insect Technique in sun –dried fish industry (BGD/05/25) during 1st July 2005 to 31 st December 2006 An internal publication of the Bangladesh Atomic Energy Commission, pp. 47.
- Begum, S., Nasim, M. and Majumder, M. Z. R. 2007. Some biological aspects of hairy maggot blowfly, Chrysomya rufifacies (Macquart, 1842) (Diptera: Challiphoridae). Bangladesh J. Zool.35 (2): 367 – 380.
- A.K. Saha, F. Yesmin and G. Nahar. 2006. Effects of neem and gamma radiation on the larvae
of lasser meal worm, Alphitobius diaperinus (Panzeer) (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae). J
Asiat. Soc. Bangladesh, Sci. 32 (1): 121-126.
- Akira Yamanaka, Miwa Adachi, Hiroshi Imai, Terumasa Uchiyama, Moeko Inoue, A.T.M.Fayezul Islam, Chisato Kitazawa, Katsuhiko Endo. 2006. Properties of orange-pupae-inducing factor (OPIF) in the swallowtail butterfly, Papilio xuthus L. Peptides. 27: 534-538.
- G.Nahar and Misbah Uddin, 2006.Larval behavior and canibalism of Alphitobius diaperinus (Panzer) (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae) in the Laboratory. Bangladesh J. Agril. Sci. 33 (2) P.161-165.
- Dil Ara Taslima Begum, Misbah Uddin Ahmed.2006. Determination of the concentration of pheromone for responses of Dermestes maculatus (DeGeer) and mesurement the Comperative Responses of Sex to Pheromone. Nucl. Sci. Appl 15 (1)121 -123.
- G. Nahar, A. J. Howlader and R. Rahman. 2006. Radiation sterilization and mating competitiveness of sterile melon fly, Bactrocera cucurbitae (Coquellett) –(Diptera: Tephritidae ) male in relation to Sterile Insect Release Method . Pakistan J Biol. Sci. 9 (13): 2478-2482. ISSN 1028 – 8880.
- G. Nahar and A.J. Howlader. 2006. Effects of radiation on the post embryonic development of melonfly , Bactrocera cucurbitae (Coquellett) (Diptera: Tephritidae).Bangladesh J.Zool. 34(1).
- G. Nahar . 2006 . Effects of temperature on the development of melon fly, Bactrocera cucurbitae (Coquellett) (Diptera: Tephritidae). Bangladesh J. Agril . Sci. 33 (1): 61-64.
- M. Khan and G. Nahar .2006. Gamma radiation in preventing adult emergence from immatures of two fruit fly species (Diptera : Tephritidae). J. Asiat. Sco. Bangladesh, Sci. 32 (2): 275 -282.
- Chowdhury, N., Majumder, M. Z. R. and Pal, S. G. 2006. Transmission electron microscopic studies of haemolymph cells of Ctenolepisma longicaudata. Bangladesh J. Zool. 34(2): 195 – 204.
- Lee, W. J., Majumder, M. Z. R., Jeoung, Doo – II, Lee, H. J., Kim, S. H., Bae, S. and Lee, Y. S. 2006. Organ – Specific Gene Expressions in C57BL/ 6 Mice after Exposure to Low – Dose Radiation. Rdiation Research, USA, 165: 562 -569.
- Dil Ara Taslima Begum,Misbah Uddin Ahmed.2005.Collection of Pheromone from Hide Beetles, Dermestes maculatus (DeGeer), on paper Discs and demonstrate their Comparative Responses. Nucl. Sci. Appl 14 (1) 123 -125.
- G. Nahar. 2005. Sterilization of melonfly, Bactrocera cucurbitae (Coquellett) (Diptera : Tephritidae) with gamma radiation : Effects of doses on fecundity , egg viability and longevity. J. Asiat. Sco. Bangladesg, Sci. 31(2) 31-36.
- G. Nahar, F. Yesmin and A.K. Saha. 2005. The effect of parental age on progeny quality of melon fly, Bactrocera cucurbite (Coq.) (Diptera: Tephritidae). Bangladesh j entomol. 15 (1): 57-63.
- Saha, A.K., Yesmin, F. and Nahar, G. 2005. Effect of gamma irradiation on the reproductive organs of melon fly, Bactrocera cucurbite (Coq.) (Diptera: Tephritidae). J Asiat. Soc. Bangladesh, Sci. 31 (1): 21-30.
- M. Khan, F. Yesmin and G. Nahar. 2005. Determination of male sterility dose and size reduction of reproductive organs of sheep blow fly, Lucilai cuprina (Wied) (Diptera: Calliphoridae) using gamma radiation. Nuclear Science and Applications. 14 (2): 108-111.
- Majumder , M. Z. R., Lee, W. J., Lee, S.J., Bay, Sand Lee, Y. S . 2005. Gene Expression Patterns of Spleen , Lung and Brain with Different Radiosensitivity in C57BL6 Mice. J. Korea Asso.Radiat. prot. 30(4):197 – 2008.
- A.T.M. Fayezul Islam, Nami Nankaku, Yukie Marui, Reza Shahjahan, Weihua Kong,
Akira Yamanaka and Katsuhiko Endo. 2005. Neuroendocrine roles of the brain in
the regulation of 20-Hydroxysone responsiveness in two types of diapause pupae
of the cabbage army worm, Mamestra brassicae. Zool. Sci. 22: 775-781.
- Yesmin, F., Saha, A. K., Nahar, G. and Hasanuzzaman, M. 2005. Polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis (PAGE) as a detection method for irradiated sterile melon fly, Bactrocera cucurbitae (Coq.) (Diptera: Tephritidae). Bangladesh J. Zool., 33 (2): 241- 245.
- Hasanuzzaman, M., Yesmin, F., Shahjahan, R. M. and Begum, A. 2004. Isozyme banding patterns of alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) in pupae of melon fly Bactrocera cucurbitae (Coq.). Bangladesh J. Zool., 32 (1): 27- 31.
- Majumder, M. Z. R.2004. Studies on reproductive biology of Retithrips syriacus (Mayet) (Thysanopter) infesting rose plants in Bangladesh. Bangladesh J. Zool. 32(1):81 – 87.
- Sanyal, A. K., Gupta, S.K., Majumder, M.Z .R. and Chowdhury, N. 2004.Some hitherto unknown mites (Acari) frpm Bangladesh. Rec. Zool. Surv. India: 102 (part 3- 4) : 11 – 16.
- Gupta, S. K., Sanyal, A.K., Majumder, M.Z.R and Chowdhury, N. 2004. Some new records of mites (Acari) from Bangladesh. Rec. Zool. Surv . India: 102 (part 3 – 4): 17 -24.
- Yumi Usui, Akira Yamanaka, A.T.M. Fayezul Islam, Reza Shahjahan and Katsuhiko
Endo. 2004. Photoperiod- and temperature-dependent regulation of pupal
beige/black polymorphism in the small copper butterfly, Licaena phlaeas daimio
Seitz. Zool. Sci. 21: 835-839.
- Akira Yamanaka, Hiroshi Imai, Miwa Adachi, Mitsunobu Komatsu, A.T.M. Fayezul
Islam, Ichiro Kodama, Chisato Kitazawa and Katsuhiko Endo. 2004. Hormonal
control of the orange coloration of diapause pupae in the swallowtail butterfly,
Papilio xuthus L. (Lepidoptera : Papilionidae). Zool. Sci. 21: 1049-1055.
- A.T.M.F. Islam. 2003. Predation efficiency and prey size preference of lady bird
beetle, Menochilus sexmaculatus (F.) on bean aphid, Aphis craccivora Koch.
Bangladesh J. Agril. Sci. 30(1): 161-167.
- A.T.M.F. Islam, S. Islam and M.S. Alam. 2003. Studies on biology, host instar
preference and preliminary evaluation of Apanteles sp. and Meteorus sp. as
parasitoids on Spilarctia obliqua (Walker). Bangladesh J. Agril. Sci. 30(2): 233-
- A.T.M.F. Islam, M.S. Alam and S. Islam. 2003. Effect of gamma radiation on
different aged pupae of jute hairy caterpillar, Spilarctia obliqua (Walker).
Bangladesh J. Agril. Sci. 30(2): 305-310.
- A.S.M. Saifullah and K. Tomioka (2003) Oigment dispersing factor sets the night state of the medulla bilateral neurons in the cricket, Gryllus bimaculatus. J. Insect Physiol. 49: 231-239.
- A.S.M. Saifullah and K. Tmioka (2003) 5-HT7 receptors mediate serotonergic modulation of photo-responsiveness of the medulla bulateral neurons of the cricket, Gryllus bimaculatus. Zool. Sci. 20: 303-309.
- M. Singaravel, Y. Fujisawa, M. Hisada, A.S.M. Saifullah and K. Tomioka (2003) Phase shifts of the circadian locomotor rhythm induced by pigment dispersing factor in the cricket, G. bimaculatus. Zool. Sci. 20: 1347-1354.
- K. Tomioka, T. Yoshi and A.S.M. Saifullah (2003) Multioscillator systems controlling circadian locomotor rhythm in insects. In K. Honma and S. Honma (eds.) “Circadian Clock as Multioscillator System” Hokkaido University Press: 61-74.
- Majumder, M. Z. R. 2003. Dung beetles. Banglapedia – National Encylopedia of Bangladesh, Vol. 2, p.125. published by the Asiatic Society of Bangladesh, Nimtoli, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Majumder, M. Z. R. and M. Ahmed. 2003. Preservation by radiation. Banglapedia – National encyclopedia of Bangladesh, Vol. 4 , p. 218. Published by the Asiatic Society of Bangladesh, Nimtoli, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Copyright © Atomic Energy Research Establishment, Ganakbari, Savar, P.O. Box No. 3787, Dhaka-1000, Bangladesh.
Telephone 880-2- 7789252; Facsimilie 880-2-7789337.