Institute of Nuclear Science and Technology
Reactor Engineering and Control Division (RECD)Phone: 880-2-7790700 Fax: 880-2-7789337
- Design and Development of Instrumentation & Control Systems around the TRIGA Reactor and other related Nuclear Fields
- Design and Development of Laboratory Support Instruments/Equipment for INST
- Design and Development of necessary Instruments/Equipment for other Centre/Institute of BAEC (as and when assigned)
- Repair, Maintenance and Installation of various Instruments/Equipment of INST
- Thermal hydraulics and vibration analysis of BAEC TRIGA research reactor
- Reactor Instrumentation & Control Section (RICS)
- Thermal Hydraulic Section (THS)
- Development of Online Digital Reactivity Meter for TRIGA Mark-II Research Reactor
A prototype on-line Digital Reactivity Meter has been designed and developed for the TRIGA Mark-II research reactor of Bangladesh. All necessary Hardware and Software have been developed indigenously by the scientists of Reactor Engineering & Control Division. The Digital Reactivity Meter has already been interfaced with the Reactor Console and is being used for measuring the Reactivity Worth of the control rods. Along with the acquiring of high technology a large amount of foreign currency has been saved by doing this work. R&D works are in progress to improve and upgrade the system.
- Development of Thermal Power Calculator (TPC)
Research work is in progress to develop a computerized “Thermal Power Calculator for TRIGA Research Reactor.” Major parts of hardware and a suitable computer interfacing technique have already been development for this system. A menu driven software using Visual Basic language has also been developed to implement the system. Some temperature sensors & signal conditioners will be procured and interfaced with hardware to complete the system.
- Periodic Polarity Changer of a DC Power Supply for Pulsed Field Gel Electrophoresis
Gel electrophoresis is the method of choice for the separation of DNA in molecular biology. Steady-field electrophoresis is commonly used to separate molecules from a few base pairs (bp) to about 50 kilobase pairs (Kbp), while pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE) methods are required to separate molecules beyond this size range, up to 10 megabase pairs (Mbp). Therefore, PFGE has become an important tool in molecular biology to construct precise physical map of large fragments of DNA in shorter time.
A simple and prototype periodic polarity changer has been designed and developed to convert a high voltage dc power supply to a bipolar pulsating field power supply to be used for Pulsed Field Gel Electrophoresis (PFGE). As required by the process of PFGE, the period of the forward field is made considerably larger than that of the reverse field. The asymmetric pulses, as required for this purpose, are first generated by a low voltage pulse generator. The low voltage pulses are then shifted to a high voltage level and converted to the bipolar nature as required by PFGE. A prototype unit of the device is now being used by the Institute of Food and Radiation Biology, Atomic Energy Research Establishment, Savar, Dhaka. R&D works are to be continued to upgrade the system.
- Development of Printed Circuit Board (PCB) Facility
Printed Circuit Board (PCB) development and fabrication facilities have been developed at RECD laboratory. PCB development services are being rendered to other institutes also.
- Thermal hydraulic analysis of BAEC TRIGA research reactor
A thermal hydraulic laboratory has been established at the Institute of Nuclear Science & Technology to study thermal hydraulic of BAEC TRIGA reactor. A heat transfer rig that has been designed fabricated and installed locally in the thermal hydraulic laboratory will be needed to re-design to perform the following tests:
- Measurement of convective heat transfer co-efficient
- Time response of the heater rods
- DNB studies
- Pressure drop measurements
- Routine vibration measurement and analysis of BAEC TRIGA research reactor primary cooling system:
Routine vibration measurement and analysis of TRIGA reactor primary cooling system are being performed to ensure the operational safety:
- Repair & Maintenance and Installation of various equipment
Many instruments/equipment/systems have been and are being repaired, installed by this division as and when required by the institute.
- Data Acquisition System for 3MW TRIGA Reactor at AERE, Savar
- Hospital Announcement and Paging System
- Conference Microphone System
- Development of Microcontroller based Instrumentation System
- Automatic Timer Controlled UV Exposure Machine
- Temperature Controller for Nuclear and Radiation Chemistry Division
- Public Address System for INST Auditorium
- Bangla Display (12-segments) Digital Wall Clock
- Bangla Display (dot matrix) Digital Wall Clock
- High Power Solar Charge Controller
- Battery Back-up System for Kipp & Zonen Solar Integrator
- Solar Panel Compatible Battery Charger & Inverter
- Automatic AC Voltage Regulator
- Automatic AC Voltage (135V - 285V) Regulator with Over and Under Voltage Protection
- 0 - 24V 25 Amp. DC Power Supply
- 5V, Stabilized, 1 Amp. DC Power Supply
- Line Frequency Meter
- Continuous Pulse Generator
- Re-inking Machine
- PCB Etching Machine
- Sample Rotator
- Dice for Liquid Samples
- Measuring Equipment/Instruments
- Computers, Printers and related accessories
- PCB making facility
- Mini workshop
- Thermal Hydraulic Rig.
- Material Testing Machine
- Stress & Vibration Measuring/Analysis Facilities
- Printed Circuit Board (PCB) development and fabrication facilities have been developed at RECD laboratory. PCB development services are being rendered to other institutes also.
- Development of Reactor Based Equipment/System
- Development of Laboratory Based Equipment/System
- Development of Radiation Detection, Monitoring and Analysis System
- Establishment of a Thermal Hydraulics Experimental Facilities for Small and Medium Power Reactor
- Establishment of Stress Analysis, Vibration and Fracture Analysis and allied Laboratory Facilities for Nuclear Reactor Systems (Cont.)
- M.M. Rashid, N. Jahan, F. Ahmed and N. Kabir, “Self Signal Rejection Technique in Conference Microphone System,” Proceedings of the National Conference on Electronics, Information and Telecommunication, Rajshahi University, June 29 - 30, 2007.
- M.M. Rashid, S.A. Khan, M. Rana, Farhana Ahmed and Faiz Ahmed, “Periodic Polarity Changer of a DC Power Supply for Pulsed Field Gel Electrophoresis,” Proceedings of the National Conference on Electronics, Information and Telecommunication, Rajshahi University, June 29 - 30, 2007.
- M.M. Rashid, N. Jahan, and M.A. Khayer, “Hardware and Software Interfaces for Online Digital Reactivity Meter,” Proceedings of the National Conference on Electronics, Information and Telecommunication, Rajshahi University, June 29 - 30, 2007.
- N. Jahan, M.A. Motalab, R. Mondal, M.M. Rashid and M.A. Khayer, “Decoding Technique of the IR Remote Control Signal and Its Versatile Use in Instrumentation System,” Journal of the Bangladesh Electronics Society, Vol. 5, No. 2, December 2005.
- N. Jahan, M.M. Rashid, M.A. Khayer, H. Blauman and J. Longhino, “Design and Development of a Real Time Digital Reactivity Meter for a Research Reactor,” Journal of the Bangladesh Electronics Society, Vol. 5, No. 2, December 2005.
- M.A. Motalab, N. Jahan, R. Mondal, M.M. Rashid and M.A. Khayer, “Binary to BCD Conversion System for Dedicated Instrumentation and Control System,” Journal of the Bangladesh Electronics Society, Vol. 5, No. 1, June 2005.
- M.M. Rashid, N. Jahan, M.A. Khayer and R. Mondal, “Decoding of Parallel Port Control Register Signals for Data Acquisition,” Nuclear Science and Applications, Vol. 13 No. 1-2, December 2004.
- M.M. Rashid, N. Jahan, M.A. Khayer and R. Mondal, “Data Acquisition from a Multichannel ADC Using Bidirectional Parallel Port as an Interface,” Journal of the Bangladesh Electronics Society, Vol. 4, No. 2, June 2004.
- M.M. Rashid, N. Jahan, M.A. Khayer and R. Mondal, “Transition from ISA Bus Interface to Parallel Port Interface for Computer based Control & Instrumentation,” Journal of the Bangladesh Electronics Society, Vol. 4, No. 2, June 2004.
- M.M. Rashid, M.A. Khayer, R. Mondal and A.H.M. Asadul Huq, “Development of a 32-Channel ADC for Logging of Research Reactor Parameters,” Dhaka University Journal of Science, Vol. 52, No. 2, January 2004.
- M.M. Rashid, R. Mondal and M.A. Khayer, “A Temperature Controller with Semi-Digital Display” Nuclear Science and Applications, Vol. 12 No. 1-2, December 2003.