lnstitute of Radiation and Polymer TechnologyPhone: 88-02-7789343
Institute of Radiation and Polymer Technology (IRPT) is dedicated to research and development activities by the application of radiation technology. The institute was established in 2010 and has been able, through innovative research and technological achievements in polymer science and industrial application of gamma radiation sterilization process to contribute to the national effort for achieving economic self sufficiency. The institute has the 350 kCi Co-60 gamma source which is the largest source in Bangladesh.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES:
aims and objectives of the institute are:
- To carry out research for the development of different composite polymeric substances for the commercial production of goods for household use.
- To develop and improve radiation processing technology and to transfer the technology to interested companies for industrial application and
- To apply gamma irradiation for microbiological quality improvement of medical products, pharmaceutical raw materials, and for the preservation of food grains, spices etc.
a) Research & Development:
- Development of composite polymer for household application: Radiation technique is used to increase tensile strength, bending strength, impact strength, and durability of different composite polymer. Jute fiber, glass fiber, cotton fiber and different natural fiber are used in the research of development of new composite polymer.
- Extraction of natural polymer and application: Sodium alginate is extracted from sea weed for use as stabilizer, emulsifier and also as fertilizer. Chitosan is extracted from prawn shell and effect of gamma radiation on chitosan was determined. Radio-sterilized chitosan, gelatin etc. are used in tissue engineering.
- Detoxification of Textile Effluent by Gamma Radiation and Application as Liquid Fertilizer on different Plant: Textile effluent was irradiated and its quality was improved by decreasing its BOD, COD, TDS, TSS level and applied to different plant e.g. Radish (Raphanus sativus), carrot, chilli(Capsicum frutescens), Malabar spinach(Basella alba) etc. as fertilizer. Very promising results were found.
- Development of Artificial blood plasma expander: Artificial blood plasma expander has been prepared. When blood loss exceeds not more than 30%, blood plasma expander can work as an alternative to total blood infusion
- Development of Dye Sensitized Solar Cell by locally Available Natural Dye: Dye sensitized solar cell using naturally available dyes and polymers has been developed.
- Low cost Proton Exchange Membrane for fuel cell has been prepared: Linear low density polyethylene (LLDPE) based PEM has been prepared. Radiation grafting technique has been applied to introduce the styrene monomer onto the LLDPE films by UV radiation under atmospheric circumstances.
The Co-60 gamma irradiation plant started its operation during the fiscal year 2009-2010. Irradiation service has been providing to private companies for commercial purpose giving assurance of complete sterilization of products or deliver dose as per company demand. Irradiated items are Powder/whole spices, pharmaceutical ingredients, capsule shell, syringe, peat soil, cotton absorber etc. Since establishment total 61,32,331 BD Taka was earned as revenue from this source by 30 April, 2014.
Table: Revenue earned by Co-60 Gamma Irradiation Plant During 5 year's period.
For innovative research and development in IRPT, Dr. Mubarak Ahmad Khan, CSO & Director of IRPT received the BAS Gold Medal Award for senior Scientist in Physical Sciences for the year 2010. A brief account of the achievements of the institute in R & D activities with specific areas of applications of the research findings are given below:
Invention of Jute reinforced polymer composite "Jutin": Jute fiber (hessian cloth) reinforced unsaturated polyester (USP) resin composite was prepared by simple hand lay-up technique. The product showed 147MPa tensile strength, 150MPa bending strength, 68 kJm-2 impact strength and more than 50 years durability. Many value added products like roof tiles, room insulator, shading, kitchen fittings, fencing, door shatter, chair, table and other furniture, helmet etc. were also prepared using the same technology. Many of the products were successfully delivered to the end users where very positive feedbacks were found. The eye catching successes of field trials have caught attention of several entrepreneurs who are very interested to commercialize the products. So, this jute based composite is very promising as an alternative of commonly used construction materials in rural area of developing countries as well as for preparing value added products for household purposes.
Picture: Jutin; different uses.
- Invention of Gamma Radiation Sterilized Chitosan Coated Surgical
Gauge for Use in Wounds Dressing: Porus scaffold composite
films were prepared and characterized by blending chitosan and gelatin solution
for tissue engineering. Gelatin–chitosan ratios of 10: 3 was used
to prepare scaffold composite. In vivo testing was done in a Wistar rat
(Rattus norvegicus) model and the healing efficiencies showed 100%
healing, where the commercial conventional dressing showed only 40% of healing
in the same period. Different companies are interested to commercialize
this product named “Eco Heal”.
Picture: Surgical gauge
Total 8 PhD students, 8 M. Phil students and more than 200 M.Sc. students were supervised for the fulfillment of their degree in this Institute.
PUBLICATION IN LAST TWO YEARS:
Publications in 2013:
- M. M Rahman, S Pervez, B Nesa, and Khan, M. A. (2013), Preparation and characterization of porous scaffold composite films by blending chitosan and gelatin solutions for skin tissue engineering, Polymer International 62 (1), 79-86.
- HU Zaman, Khan, M. A., RA Khan, MDH Beg, (2013), Effect of nano-CaCO3 on the mechanical and crystallization behavior of HDPE/LDPE/nano-CaCO3 ternary blend, Journal of Thermoplastic Composite Materials, online first, February 26, 2013, doi:10.1177/0892705712475010
- F. Parvin, F. Yeasmin, Jahid M M Islam, E. Molla, Khan, M. A. (2013:Effect of Gamma Irradiated Sodium Alginate on Malabar Spinach (Basella alba) and Spinach (Spinaciaoleracea) as Plant Growth Promoter, American Academic & Scholarly Research Journal 01/2013; 5:5.
- FahmidaParvin, FarzanaYeasmin, Jahid M M Islam, Elias Molla, Mubarak A. Khan U Zaman, Khan, M. A., RA Khan, (2013), Comparison of mechanical and degradation properties of EG and EGDMA grafted gelatin films, Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology 27 (4), 413-422.
- ShamsunNahar, M. A. Khan, R. A. Khan, E. C. B. Abdullah, R. Islam, F. Karim, M. Rahman, A. Rahman, A. K. Deb, and U. H. B. Nahar (2013).An Approach to Utilize Crust Leather Scrapes, Dumped into the Land, for the Production of Environmental Friendly Leather Composite, Engineering Journal,17 (3), 17-24.
- A Islam. M. S. Sultana, F. Parvin and Khan, M. A. (2013) Effect of ?- radiation dose on Chitosan for preservation of Mangoes (Mangiferaindica) Jahangirnagar University Environmental Bulletin 2, 35-40.
- M. Afzal Hossain, M. M. Hoque, Khan, M. A., Jahid M. M. Islam, and S. Naher (2013):Foliar Application of Radiation Processed Chitosan as Plant Growth Promoter and Anti-fungal Agent on Tea Plants,International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, Volume 4, Issue 8, 1693-1698.
- M Kamal Khan, M. A., Rahman, B Nesa, R Nasrin, S Molla, MMinhajul Islam, (2013), Preparation and characterization of poly (ethylene glycol) grafted Ca-alginate fibers by ?-irradiation for biomedical applications, J. Adhesion Science and Technology 27 (2), 216-226.
- MF Rahman, JMM Islam, MM Hassan, SM A.Habib, MS Pervez, Khan, M. A., (2013), Development of Urea Crosslinked Thin Film for Biomedical Application, International Journal of Polymeric Materials and Polymeric Biomaterials, 62 (13), 695-699.
- MF Mina, MH Shohrawardy, Khan, M. A., AKM Alam, M Beg, (2013), Improved mechanical performances of triple super phosphate treated jute?fabric reinforced polypropylene composites irradiated by gamma rays, J. Appl. Polym. Sci. Published on line March, 2013, DOI:10.1002/app.39120.
- HU Zaman, Khan, M. A., RA Khan, (2013), Modification and characterization of photo-cured sodium alginate film with ethylene glycol: effect of additives, Polymer Bulletin 70 (1), 181-194.
- J. A Khan, Khan, M. A. and R Islam, (2013), Mechanical, thermal and degradation properties of jute fabric-reinforced polypropylene composites: Effect of potassium permanganate as oxidizing agent, Polymer Composites, 34 (5), 671-680.
- H. U Zaman, MDH Beg, Khan, M. A., RA Khan, (2013), A comparative study of gamma and ultraviolet radiation on gelatin film with 2-ethylhexyl acrylate, J. Adhesion Science and Technology, Published online: 28 May 2013, DOI: 10.1080/01694243.2013.799029.
- H. U Zaman, Khan, M. A., RA Khan, (2013), Banana fiber-reinforced polypropylene composites: A study of the physico-mechanical properties, Fibers and Polymers 14 (1), 121-126(2013)
- H. U Zaman, RA Khan, Khan, M. A., MDH Beg, (2013), Physico-mechanical and degradation properties of biodegradable photografted coir fiber with acrylic monomers, Polymer Bulletin, 1-14.Published online (February), DOI 10.1007/s00289-013-0950-z.
- Jahid M M Islam, S. M. Ahsan Habib, F.Parvin, F. Rahman, A.H.M. Saadat, and Khan, M. A., (2013), Removal of Industrial Dye Effluent (Drimarene Yellow) by Renewable Natural Resources, American Academic & Scholarly Research Journal Vol. 5, No. 2, Mar.
- Sujan K. Das, Jahid M. M. Islam, M. Hasan, H. Kabir, M. A. Gafur, E. HoqueandKhan, M. A., (2013), Development of Electrically Conductive Nanocrystalline Thin Film for Optoelectronic Applications, International Letters of Chemistry, Physics and Astronomy 10(1), 90-101.
- Sujan K. Das, Jahid M. M. Islam, M. Hasan, H. Kabir, M.A. Gafur, E. Hoque and Khan, M. A., (2013), Thermal Properties og carbon Nanotubes (CNT) Reinforced Polyvinyl Alcohol (PVA) Composites, International Letter of Chemistry, Physics and Astronomy, 12, 59-66.
- K. Begam, M. A. Kabir, M. M. Rahman, M. A. Hossain and Khan, M. A., (2013), Properties of Proton Exchange Membranes Poly-ethylene Terephthalate (PET) Films Developed by Gamma Radiation Induced Grafting and Sulfonation Technique, Physics and Materials Chemistry, 2013, Vol. 1, No. 2, 13-20.
- M. K. Khan, M. M. Rahman, B. Nesa, R. Nasrin, S. Molla, M. M. Islam, T. Ur Rashid, PapiaHaque, A. I. Mustafa and Khan, M. A.. (2013), Preparation and Characterization of Poly (ethylene glycol) Grafted Ca-Alginate Fibers by -Irradiation for Biomedical Applications. J. Adhesion Sci. and Technol. 27 (2), 216-226.
- M. Mahbubul Bashar and Khan, M. A., (2013), An Overview on Surface Modification of Cotton Fiber for Apparel Use, Journal of Polymers and the Environment, 21 (1), 181-192.
- Jahid M M Islam, H Tareq, M F. Rahman, S M A Habib, Noshin A Rahman, E Molla, Khan, M.A. (2013): Preparation and Characterization of Low Cost Asymmetric Thin Film as Accelerating Wound Healing Material,American Academic & Scholarly Research Journal Vol. 5, No. 4, May.
- S.M. Shauddin: Comparison among Various Emerging PV Cells with History, Current Status and Future Challenges: Journal of Energy and Power 2013, 3(6): 91-105.
Publication in 2012 :
- Khan, M. A., Shauk M M Khan, Mahir Asif Mohammed, Sabia Sultana, Jahid M M Islam and Jasim Uddin, (2012), Sensitization of Nanocrystalline Titanium dioxide Solar Cells using Natural Dyes: Influence of Acids Medium on Coating Formulation, American Academic &Scholarly Research Journal 4 (5), 1-10.
- J. Chakrabarty, M. MasudulHassanand and Khan, M. A., (2012) Effect of Surface Treatment on Betel Nut (Areca catechu) Fiber in Polypropylene Composite. J Polym Environ, 20, 501-506
- Karim , T. Shabnam, M. M. Hassan A. H. Bhuiyan and Khan, M. A. (2012), Mechanical and Electrical Properties of Urea Treated Rice Straw Polypropylene Composites" 9th WPC, Natural fiber and other innovative composites congress, 19-20 June, Stuttgart, Germany.
- S. Nahar, Ruhul A. Khan, K. Dey, B. Sarker Khan, M. A., Anjan K. Das and S. Ghosha, (2012). Comparative Studies of Mechanical and Interfacial Properties between Jute and Bamboo Fiber-Reinforced Polypropylene-Based Composites, Journal of Thermoplastic Composite Materials. 25(1), 15-32.
- Khan, M.K., Rahman, M. M., Nesa, B., Nasrin, R., Molla, S., Islam, M. M., Rashid, T., Haque, P., Mustafa, A. I., Khan, M. A. (2012), Preparation and characterization of poly (ethylene glycol) grafted Ca-alginate fibers by ? -irradiation for biomedical applications. J. Adhesion Science and Technology, 27 (2), 216-226.
- Rahman, M.M., Karim, R., Mustafa, A.I., Khan, M. A. (2012), Preparation and Characterization of Bio-blends from Gelatin and Linear Low Density Polyethylene (LLDPE) by Extrusion Method. Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology. 26, 1281-1294.
- Hoque, Q. M. I., Islam, R., Islam, M. M., Rashid, T. U., Afrin, S., Zaman, M. A., Mustafa, A. I., Rahman, M. M., Khan, M. A. (2012), Preparation of Rayon Fiber-Reinforced Polypropylene Composites by Extrusion Techniques. Polymer-Plastics Technology and Engineering. 51, 116-121.
- M. Masudul Hassan, Abdul Karim, TamannaShabnam, Abu HashanBhuiyan, and Khan, M.A. (2012), Effect of Gamma Radiation on the Mechanical Properties of Urea-Treated Rice Straw Polypropylene Composites, Polym-PlastTechnol Eng., 51, 977-982,
- Jahangir A. Khan, Khan, M. A., Rabiul Islam, Abdul Gafur (2012), Mechanical, Thermal and Interfacial Properties of Jute Fabric-Reinforced Polypropylene Composites: Effect of Potassium Dichromate Materials Sciences and Applications,1, 350-357
- M. Nuruzzaman Khan, Islam, Jahid M. M. and Khan, M. A. (2012), Fabrication and characterization of gelatin-based biocompatible porous composite scaffold for bone tissue engineering; Online first, J Biomed Mater Res Part A, 100 (11), 3020-3028.
- Jahangir A. Khan, Khan, M. A. and Rabiul Islam, (2012), Effect of Mercerization on Mechanical, Thermal and Degradation Characteristics of Jute Fabric-reinforced Polypropylene Composites, Fibers and Polymers, 13 (10), 1300-1309.
- Jahangir A Khan, Khan, M. A. and Rabiul Islam, (2012), Effect of Potassium Permanganate on Mechanical, Thermal and Degradation Characteristics of Jute Fabric-Reinforced Polypropylene Composite, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 31, 1725-1736.
- J. K. Roy, N. Akter, H. U. Zaman, K M. Ashraf, S. Sultana, Shahruzzman, N Khan, M. A. Rahman, T. Islam Khan, M. A. and R A Khan;(2012), Preparation and properties of coir fiber-reinforced ethylene glycol dimethacrylate-based composite, Journal of Thermoplastic Composite Materials, Published online March 22, 2012, Doi, 0892705712439568.
- S. Parvez, M. M. Rahman, Khan, M. A., M. Anwar H. Khan, Jahid M. M. Islam, Mostak Ahmed, M F. Rahman and Belal Ahmed, (2012), Preparation and characterization of artificial skin using chitosan and gelatin composites for potential biomedical application. Polym. Bull. 69,715-73.
- Mostak Ahmed, Khan, M. A., Nazia Rahman and M. Anwar H. Khan, (2012), UV radiation induced graft copolymerization of allyl acetate onto poly(ethylene terephthalate) (PET) films for fuel cell. Chinese Journal of Polymer Science, 2012 (2), 227-234.
- Taslim Ur Rashid, M. M. Rahman, S. Kabir, Sayed M. Shamsuddin and Khan, M. A. (2012), A New Approach for Preparation of Chitosan from ? -Irradiation of Prawn Shell: Effects of Radiation on the Characteristics of Chitosan. Journal of polymer International, 61(8), 1302-1308.
- M. M. Rahman, ShahriarKabir, Taslim Ur Rashid, R. Nasrin, BodrunNesa, PapiaHaque and Khan, M. A. (2012), Effect of ?-Irradiation on the Thermomechanical and Morphological Properties of Chitosan obtained from Prawn Shell: Evaluation of Potential for Irradiated Chitosan as Plant Growth Stimulator for Malabar spinach. J. Radiation Physics and Chemistry, 82, 112-118
- Quazi M. I. Huque, Rafiqul Islam, Md. Minhajul Islam, Taslim Ur Rashid,Sanjida Afrin, Md. Asaduzzaman, A. I. Mustafa, M. MizanurRahma and Khan, M. A., (2012), Preparation of Rayon Fiber-Reinforced Polypropylene Composites by Extrusion Techniques" Journal of Polymer-Plastics Technology and Engineering. 51, 116-121.
- R.A. Khan, Khan, M. A., H.U. Zaman, F. Parvin, (2012), Fabrication and Characterization of Jute Fabric-Reinforced PVC-based Composite. Journal of Thermoplastic Composite Materials, 25, 145-58.
- HU Zaman, Khan, M. A., RA Khan, M Noor-A-Alam (2012), Studies of the Physico-Mechanical, Interfacial, and Degradation Properties of Jute Fabrics/Melamine Composites, International Journal of Polymeric Materials, 61 (10), 748-758.
- M Naznin, M Abedin, Khan, M. A., M Gafur, (2012), Influence of Acacia catechu Extracts and Urea and Gamma Irradiation on the Mechanical Properties of Starch/PVA-Based Material. ISRN Polymer Science, 2012, 1-8, Article ID 348685.
- HU Zaman, Khan, M. A., RA Khan (2012), Comparative experimental measurements of jute fiber/polypropylene and coir fiber/polypropylene composites as ionizing radiation. Polymer Composites, 33 (7), 1077-1084.
- HU Zaman, Khan, M. A., RA Khan (2012), Comparative experimental studies of phosphate glass fiber/polypropylene and phosphate glass fiber/natural rubber composites. Journal of Elastomers and Plastics, 44 (6), 499-514.
- MZI Mollah, Khan, M. A., (2012), Mechanical properties development of sodium alginate films with additives by UV?radiation processing. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 124 (1), 275-281.
- HU Zaman, Khan, M. A.,RA Khan (2012), Studies on the Thermo-Mechanical Properties of Gelatin Based Films Using 2-Hydroxyethyl Methacrylate by Gamma Radiation. Open Journal of Composite Materials, 2 (1), 15-21.
- HU Zaman, AH Khan, MA Hossain, Khan, M. A., RA Khan (2012), Physico-Mechanical, Interfacial, Degradation, and Dielectric Properties of Jute/PP Composites: Effect of Dye and Gamma Radiation. International Journal of Polymeric Materials, 61 (8), 596-610.
- HU Zaman, M Al-Mamun, Khan, M. A., RA Khan (2012), Preparation of adsorbent for extracting heavy metal ions by coir yarn. Journal of Thermoplastic Composite Materials, Published online before print January 5, 2012, doi:10.1177/0892705711430427
- HU Zaman, Khan, M. A., RA Khan (2012), Comparison of mechanical and degradation properties of EG and EGDMA grafted gelatin films, Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology, 27 (4), 413-422.
- HU Zaman, RA Khan, Khan, M. A., MDH Beg (2012), Jute-Reinforced Polymer Composite with HDDA Monomer by UV Radiation in the Presence of Additives. Journal of Thermoplastic Composite Materials, 25 (1), 59-73.
- HU Zaman, Khan, M. A., RA Khan, S Ghoshal(2012), Effect of ionizing and non-ionizing preirradiations on physico-mechanical properties of coir fiber grafting with methylacrylate. Fibers and Polymers, 13 (5), 593-599.
- J. K Roy, RA Khan, KMZ Hossain, Khan, M. A., S Mistry (2012), Effect of Sodium Bicarbonate on the Mechanical and Degradation Properties of Short Jute Fiber Reinforced Polypropylene Composite by Extrusion Technique. International Journal of Polymeric Materials, 61 (8), 571-586.
- HU Zaman, Khan, M. A., RA Khan (2012), Improvement of physicomechanical properties of grafted coir fiber with ethylene glycol dimethacrylate: effect of UV radiation. Journal of Polymer Engineering, 32 (2), 135-141.
- RA Khan, Khan, M. A., HU Zaman, F Parvin, T Isla, (2012), Fabrication and Characterization of Jute Fabric-Reinforced PVC-based Composite. Journal of Thermoplastic Composite Materials, 25 (1), 45-58.
- HU Zaman, Khan, M. A., RA Khan (2012), Comparative experimental studies on the mechanical and degradation properties of natural fibers reinforced polypropylene composites. Composite Interfaces, 19 (1), 59-70.
- HU Zaman, Khan, M. A., RA Khan (2012), Effect of gamma radiation and bulk monomer on jute fabrics polyethylene/polyvinyl chloride composites. Journal of Polymer Engineering, 32 (4-5), 301-309.
- HU Zaman, Khan, M. A., RA Khan (2012), Effect of nonionizing radiation on the physicomechanical properties of banana fiber/pp composites with HEMA. Polymer Composites, 33 (8), 1424-1431.