Nuclear Mineral UnitPhone: 880-2-7789338, Fax: 880-2-7789337
The Nuclear Minerals Unit is mainly engaged with the exploration and exploitation of uranium/thorium bearing atomic minerals, coal, geoenvironmental studies, geophysical logging service and application of Geographic Information System (GIS) in mineral exploration programs and in other BAEC programs. exploitation of uranium/thorium bearing atomic minerals, coal, geoenvironmental studies, geophysical logging service and application of Geographic Information System (GIS) in mineral exploration programs and in other BAEC programs.
Field Methods for Minerals Exploration
- Geological Survey
- Radiometric Survey
- Differential Spectrometric Survey
- Geophysical Survey
- Radon Survey
- Exploratory Drilling
- Nuclear Borehole Logging
- Lithostratigraphic Studies
Laboratory Methods for Minerals Exploration
- Mechanical Analysis
- Heavy liquid Separation
- Isodynamic Magnetic Separation
- Petrographic Study
- Mineralogical Study
- Geochemical Study
- Gamma Spectrometric Analysis
- Spectrophotometric Analysis
- X-ray Diffraction
- Exploration activities for atomic minerals have resulted in a discovery of a number of significant radiometric anomalies (upto 60 times to the background) in the tertiary sedimentary rocks of North-Eastern Bangladesh.
- Nuclear Minerals Unit has so far earned taka 50 lacs in the last few years (since 2003) providing geophysical and geological services and by providing training on GIS.
- Delineated a large number of coal seams in the northern part of Bangladesh under collaborative work with national and international mining companies.
- In addition to national program NMU is involved in the implementation of RCA project titled “Raising Productivity in the Coal Minerals and Petrochemical Industries by using Nucleonic Analysis Systems and Radiotracers and IAEA TC Project titled “Application of Portable Nucleonic Gauges and PGNAA for Mineral Resources Development in Bangladesh.” The mineral sector of Bangladesh will be highly benefited through the implementation of these projects.